Saturday, June 22, 2013

Swedish outdoor adventure

 May 31 my friend Suzan and I left for our Swedish outdoor adventure. We flew from Eindhoven airport to Skavsta airport. When we arrived in Sweden, we still had to make quite a trip by bus to get to the inn we were going to. We missed our last bus, so I was very glad that the owners of the inn were willing to pick us up. The first night we stayed at the inn, and the next day we packed our stuff in waterproof bags, loaded the canoe and started our canoe trip.We camped out in the wild for three nights and the fourth day of our trip we were picked up and brought to the inn once again. We stayed a night at the inn and the next day we traveled back to Skavsta airport very relaxed. We flew to Düsseldorf Weeze (Germany) and were picked up by Suzans father, who brought us home.

We first night outdoors we camped on a small island. It had been raining all afternoon, so we had to set up our tent while it was raining. We put it on a rock because it was the only almost flat surface that wasn't covered with water. We used small rocks to hold the tent in place. There was already a fire place (a few small rocks in a circle with a grill on top of it). We searched for dry wood and made a fire. We cooked Chinese noodles and made scrambled eggs. Don't worry, we ate some carrots for breakfast the next morning, so we ate pretty healthy ;).

The weather was at it's best the second day of our trip. In the afternoon there were few clouds and the water was calm. We spend the whole day in our canoe. Sometimes we stopped peddling for a bit and just lay in our drifting canoe and relaxed.

The second evening we set up our tent between some trees in a very grassy area. We later found out that we were in a cow pasture. We made our own fire place and made tomato sauce with zucchini and ate it with couscous.

The third day we arrived at a Viking grave field were stones were layed out in the shape of a viking ship. We ment to go there the day before, but we got a bit lost ;).

The grave field was on top of a small hill, so there was quite a view from up there.

We made bread on a stick above our campfire and decided to stay at this lovely place near the Viking grave field.

The fourth day it was blowing hard and we were having a bit difficulty with staying on track, but we managed. At the begining of the evening we arrived at a small village and were picked up by the the owners of the inn.

 We spent the last morning sitting in the sun in front of the inn, before we had to take the bus.

After an amazing holiday we flew back to Germany and were brought home by Suzan's dad.


  1. This looks amazing! I'm so jealous. This is exactly the sort of holiday I'd love to go on right now. Not the most relaxing perhaps, but I bet it was fun and the scenery looks beautiful.

    1. We had lots of fun and it was great to be outdoors all the time! When we were back I was exausted by all of the physical strain, but my mind my so relaxed. Some how I found it really relaxing to only have to set up or break down our tent, make food and travel by canoe. There was nothing else we necessarily needed to do and that made it so peaceful.