Monday, September 2, 2013

First day of the year

It will help you to grow!Today almost all universities in the Netherlands started their academic year. I however, won't be participating because I have chosen to take a gap year. It feels awesome and scary at the same time, but the awesomeness probably prevailes. It feels great that I don't have to do anything this year. Ofcourse that doesn't mean that I am going to do nothing (I actually have a lot of plans), but I'm free to do only the things I want to do and I can choose when to do them. Usually I'm a big planner. I always have some sort of plan so it's very different to not know what the year will bring.
When I was 17 I had to do an internship for school. I really wanted to go abroad but I was also scared. I went anyway and it turned out amazing. It was my first time being in an other country on my own. I got sick, my phone died and I got stuck in an other city for about a day, but everything turned out just fine! I was proud of myself for not freaking out and finally doing something that I wouldn't have done before.

New things are sometimes scary, but when you have done it, you will feel so good about it!
This is the first day of my gap year and I've already done something new. A couple of days ago I went running for the first time with my friend Sophie. We ended up mainly walking and talking and we ran very little, but I realized that starting to run woudn't actually have to be that hard. So today I bought running pants and went for my first real run! Furthermore I signed up for a Coursera course called A brief history of Humankind

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty awesome and brave to take a break :) It will be useful and purposeful. As long as take that time to explore other alternatives other than school or the path you would like to gear school towards, then it will be truly successful. So many things in this world to try and do, so little time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I haven't done anything school-like ;). I baked a lot, made some clothes, wrote a movie script with a friend of mine, started running, painted and I did some voluntary work at a food program that supports bying local food and I feel is really important. So much to do, so little time, it sounds very familiar! I have so many books I want to read, paintings, clothes and other crafts I want to make, places I want to go, things I want to see and do. The year will probably go by very fast, but I'm sure I'll enjoy almost every minute of it!

      Delete